[webkit-dev] Build system for ports

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sun Apr 16 16:09:08 PDT 2006

On Apr 16, 2006, at 3:38 PM, Kevin Ollivier wrote:

> I'm not really concerned about speed - I'm looking at it more from
> a maintenance perspective. For example, consider you have 6 ports
> in the tree, and you add/remove a source file used by all of them.
> If you have a "base" project, you can remove the file from one
> project file and rebuild, whereas if each project maintains a
> version of the 'base' project in its own project files, the change
> has to be made in all 6 project files. IMHO keeping the ports
> (including Safari) in sync automatically, as much as possible at
> least, would be ideal.

This aspect of it makes sense, it is certainly easier if there's only
one place to edit to add something to the project on all platforms.
It is something I've been concerned about as we add more and more ports.

> Actually, if the port uses Bakefile to generate its makefiles, we
> can already do this, and without making things a two-step process
> of base library + port library. This is because Bakefile lets you
> create templates, and in my system here I have a webcore_base
> template which holds all the include dirs, defines, etc. shared by
> all ports. Then each specific port inherits from that and sets any
> specific defines, libs/includes, etc. it needs.

This approach seems good to me.

> Anyways, sorry, I realize it might be more helpful to discuss this
> after you've all had some time to look at the Bakefile patch, so
> you can actually see what I'm trying to explain, and then we could
> look at how to move forward from there. I sometimes get a bit ahead
> of myself. :-/ I'm pretty much finished with the implementation but
> want to test on Win/Linux as well, and give Mike a chance to
> identify any changes the patch would need for his port to work with
> it. Hopefully in the next couple days or so! If someone wants

Looking forward to it. You can always file a bug and attach a pre-
patch, and just not flag it for review if not ready yet.

Cheers,
Maciej