[webkit-dev] Question for people working on ports

yjzhang at cc.hut.fi yjzhang at cc.hut.fi
Fri Sep 30 13:57:45 PDT 2005

Hi Maciej,

in our(nokia) code, memory alloc/free in both Webcore and JavascriptCore is
entirely managed by the new malloc code, and we believe the performance is much
better after switching to new malloc.

For each class in Webcore/JavascriptCore, we add new and delete operators.
There seems to be a lot of changes, but actually far less than expected because
of class inheritance.  We also upgraded to dl malloc version 2.8.2
(ftp://gee.cs.oswego.edu/pub/misc/malloc.c).

Your solution is neat and elegant, and a fast prototype shows it also works in
Symbian :)  Prefix file is feasible in Codwarrior compiler (with option -prefix)
when building for emulator.  However, RVCT, the compiler used to build for
hardware, has some challenges with prefix files - it only supports one
preincluded file and the building system already added one. So maybe we have to
use the "ugly" way for the hardware build.

Regards,

Yongjun Zhang