[webkit-dev] Question for people working on ports

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu Sep 29 15:35:58 PDT 2005

On Sep 29, 2005, at 3:11 PM, Krzysztof Kowalczyk wrote:

> On Windows, for example, malloc() is thread-safe by default so unless
> there is a measurable speed gain in using the replacement, there's
> little value in using something else.

I guess I didn't explain the change very well. We already had a
version of malloc that was faster than most system malloc
implementations (definitively measured as such at least on MacOS X
and Symbian). However, it was not threadsafe, so it was used only in
selected places where we were sure it was safe. The new one is as
fast, but threadsafe, so it's ok to just indiscriminately use it
everywhere, and this leads to a speedup on OS X. The MacOS X system
malloc is in fact threadsafe and I imagine that is also the case on
other operating systems.

It sounds like using a prefix file is probably a viable option, but
I'd like to hear from the Nokia guys first.

Regards,
Maciej