[webkit-dev] How to build webkit as "fat binary"

Bill Kocik bkocik at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 12:50:00 PST 2005

Are you able to build other universal binaries?

The error you cite below looks like the one that occurs when Xcode
isn't set up to do it. When installing Xcode, you have to do a custom
installation and select the universal SDK in order to compile
universal binaries. It's not installed by default.

To see if your Xcode installation is set up for it, look and see if
you have anything here: /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk

On 11/28/05, Dan Wood <list3679321 at karelia.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> It appears from some bugs posted on bugzilla (e.g. 5086) that WebKit
> is supposed to be able to build for i386 architecture, but I am not
> having any luck doing so.  I'm trying to build WebKit as 'fat binary'
> -- having both i386 and Intel architectures. But I am having no luck.
>
> For instance, It's not building dftables, which is needed right off
> the bat:
>
>      /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -o /Volumes/BigData/build/JavaScriptCore.build/
> Deployment/dftables.build/Objects-normal/i386/dftables -L/Volumes/
> BigData/build/Deployment -F/Volumes/BigData/build/Deployment -
> filelist /Volumes/BigData/build/JavaScriptCore.build/Deployment/
> dftables.build/Objects-normal/i386/dftables.LinkFileList -arch i386 -
> mmacosx-version-min=10.3
> /usr/bin/ld: warning fat file: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-
> darwin8/4.0.1/../../../libSystem.dylib does not contain an
> architecture that matches the specified -arch flag: i386 (file ignored)
>

> Am I missing something here?  Is this a bug in TOT?  One would think
> that intel compatibility would be a no-brainer at this stage in the
> game....
>
> Dan Wood

Bill Kocik