[webkit-dev] WebKitTools Script Proposal

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Tue Jun 28 10:03:32 PDT 2005

On Jun 27, 2005, at 5:54 PM, Timothy Hatcher wrote:

> I'm sure I am not the only one that reorganizes his Applications
> folder (e.g. by sub-folder categories like Network, Text, Office,
> etc). How about adding a environment variable that lets anyone
> override the $safariPath that is used in the various scripts.
> (Since right now most of us resort to modifying the scripts
> individually.)
>
> $ENV{WEBKIT_SAFARI_LOCATION} sound good?
>
> I can put together a patch if this would be of general interest.

Sounds fine; I'd just call it WEBKIT_SAFARI, and have it be the path
to Safari.app, including the name "Safari.app".

> On similar lines, how about a general script "run-webkit-based-
> app"? The script can take an argument to an application bundle, or
> the executable in the bundle (I say test for both cases.) This
> would give easy access to users and developers that wish to run
> their favorite WebKit enabled application with the CVS builds. (I
> have been asked a few times in #colloquy how to get this going.) I
> personally have a modified run-safari script for Colloquy, but a
> general script would help more casual users.

This doesn't seem so useful to me. This is would be a script that
sets one environment variable, DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH. I think people
can make their own.

But I could be wrong -- I'd be happy to take a patch with this script
if many people found it useful.

     -- Darin