[webkit-dev] Widget / Drawing API thoughts

David.Carson at nokia.com David.Carson at nokia.com
Tue Jun 21 08:52:29 PDT 2005

Hi Maciej,

> On Jun 20, 2005, at 3:35 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > I was thinking of maybe a tree structure like this
> >
> > WebCore
> >     khtml
> >     bridge (stuff from kwq that's for bridging to a higher level
> > API library, not about replacing Qt/KDE)
> >     kwq (strictly Qt/KDE replacements)
> >         headers
> >         common
> >         macosx
> >
> > Then gtk could be added as a peer directory to macosx (and
> > hopefully in the future xwwindows, symbian, win32, and so forth).
[snip]

> I think this sounds good. Though one little nitpick I have is that I
> think it's better to name the directories after toolkits rather than
> platforms. (i.e. cocoa rather than macosx) I think it's a bit
> clearer, as multiple ports could run on OS X. (Of course, like
> wxWidgets. ;-)
[snip]

For us, we have mostly Symbian dependancies, and very few Series 60
dependancies. So something like:
     kwq (strictly Qt/KDE replacements)
         headers
         common
         macosx
         symbian
             series60

would be better for us. Presently, the series60 directory would be
empty. But if the form controls are moved to kwq, and we need some
series60 UI widgets, we would put the code in there.

> > Any thoughts from Nokia folks on how this would affect the Gtk+ or
> > symbian ports?

This directory structure looks fine to us at Nokia. We had actaully
already seperated the bridge code some time ago into a different
directory.

Cheers
David Carson