[webkit-dev] Porting Gtk+WebCore

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sun Jun 19 21:40:38 PDT 2005

On Jun 10, 2005, at 2:19 AM, Kent Sandvik wrote:

> Yes, that makes sense. The issue indeed is to keep these two  build
> systems in sync, especially in cases where a developer does not have
> access to a Mac platform for updating the Xcode projects...

Yep, that's the biggest risk. In the end we may have to have
different people add things on different platforms. This may be an
issue on Windows even if we end up using automake on OS X.

> The qmake tool from Trolltech also used to be able to export from a
> canonical build-rule format to Makefiles and Xcode project files (at
> least when I worked on the Mac side over at Trolltech, don't know how
> well they support XCode 2.0/2.1 today.. might work fine). So that's an
> option. qmake and SCons are examples of starting from a meta-level
> description and build platform-dependent Makefile and project
> environments.

That's a neat idea. One problem is that the Xcode project file format
changes incompatibly every now and then, so the tool would have to
totally stay in sync to be usable.

Regards,
Maciej