[webkit-dev] submit as a bug when browser sniffing is used?

John Sullivan sullivan at apple.com
Sun Jul 3 11:34:37 PDT 2005

The first thing to try is to see whether Safari can display the page
by spoofing as another browser (choosing from the User Agent submenu
in the Debug menu). If this succeeds, then it is presumably a mistake
on the site's part to block Safari. Apple does try to convince
webmasters of important sites to make them work better with Safari,
and this seems like it would fall into this category. We keep track
of sites like this currently in Radar, so probably the best option
would be to file a bug at bugreporter.apple.com rather than in the
Bugzilla database.

On the other hand, if Safari still can't display the page when
spoofing with a different User Agent, then it is presumably being
blocked because the site developers couldn't get the site to work
correctly with Safari. This could be a bug or missing standards
support in WebKit, in which case a Bugzilla bug would be appropriate.
Or it could be that the site is using some non-standards-based
browser-specific technology, in which case there is less chance that
a fix in WebKit will help. But if you're not sure, it's worthwhile to
file a bug in Bugzilla and then you or someone else can try to reduce
the problem down small enough that it's obvious whether it's a WebKit
problem or a non-standards-based site issue.

John