[webkit-dev] WebKit+SVG ready for mainline

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sun Dec 4 22:43:32 PST 2005

On Dec 3, 2005, at 3:16 PM, Eric Seidel wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I have some good news:   SVG is ready to be rolled into the main
> WebKit development builds.
>
> My proposal is to do so next week.  This will affect all WebKit
> developers, as you will soon be pulling extra source code from CVS,
> and building a slighting larger set of sources (by default).
>
> I'm writing this email to propose my plan of action, and solicit
> feedback and answer any concerns you might have.
>
> My plan of action, in brief:
>
> 1.  This early next week I plan to move the ksvg2 and kcanvas
> directories, as well as the SVGLayout tests out of SVGSupport and
> into the main WebCore and LayoutTests modules (this mean's everyone
> will check out more code).
> 2.  Over the course of next week discuss with several other Safari
> engineers the "tie-in" points which SVG has to the rest of WebKit,
> and re-verify the sanity of said tie-ins. :)
> 3.  Finally, by next weekend, "flip the switch" and make WebKit+SVG
> the default build target for WebCore.

I think as part of Step 2 we should try to do a design review and
code review, since much of the original SVG
code went in without patch review, on the assumption that it would be
reviewed before going mainline. Plus, this would help anyone who
comes to the review learn more about the new code.

Regards,
Maciej