[wpe-webkit] WPE WebKit 2.44.0 released

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Thu Mar 21 14:56:10 PDT 2024

Hi Arnaud,

On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 09:53:26 +0100 Arnaud Vrac <avrac at freebox.fr> wrote:
> On 3/20/24 23:17, Adrian Perez de Castro wrote:
>
> > A quick heads up for packagers and integrators...
> >
> > On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 00:03:39 +0200 Adrian Perez de Castro <aperez at igalia.com> wrote:
> >> WPE WebKit 2.44.0 is available for download at:
> >>
> >> https://wpewebkit.org/releases/wpewebkit-2.44.0.tar.xz (33.6 MiB)
> >>     md5sum: fd82ff4f25456630fecef0e8cd0f0a22
> >>     sha1sum: 6fbcb192e40f3d86952778995d34e0cbb63a44db
> >>     sha256sum: 0741862b559da0cbbf8e0bccb057361f8a1c6a96178ba10aa0375030b01f05d4
> >>
> >> This is the first stable release in the 2.44 series.
> >>
> >> ### Highlights of the WPE WebKit 2.44.0 release
> >>
> >> - Allow disabling WebGL support using the API.
> >> - Improve V-Blank synchronization when rendering.
> >> - Use the buffer format preferred by the driver in DMA-BUF renderer.
> >> - Do not block the compositing thread waiting for rendering threads.
> >> - Improve performance when scaling images in <canvas>.
> >> - Support usage of libbacktrace, enabled by default at build time.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > It is still possible to build without most of the accessibility support by
> > disabling the new USE_ATK option, which is specific to the WPE port. Using
> > USE_ATK=OFF avoids the need for the ATK and ATK-Bridge libraries -- as it
> > was the case before.
>
> Hi Adrian,
>
> Are you sure the ATK and ATK-Bridge dependencies can be removed ? The ATK
> and ATKBridge packages are REQUIRED in Source/cmake/OptionsWPE.cmake.
> Removing the ATK::Bridge dependency doesn't seem to prevent building WebKit
> though, when Tooling is disabled.

Yes, we are sure. You can see in this commit that was backported to the 2.44
release branch that the “find_package()” calls for ATK and ATKBridge have
been moved inside an “if (USE_ATK)” block:

  https://github.com/WebKit/WebKit/commit/ff25d1c79f5d4007c79ed9a351f36f73442d0afc#diff-22ffd4ffe15977cf7c13966272b818ad8334005559b0f467ab8dc89a4e5531c9

The following builds WPE without a11y support and will not require ATK nor
ATKBridge:

  cmake -S. -Bbuild-wpe -DPORT=WPE -DUSE_ATK=OFF -GNinja
  ninja -C build-wpe

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
—Adrián