[wpe-webkit] Does WPE have any advantage over the Blink

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Thu Aug 11 15:21:57 PDT 2022

Hello,

On Fri, 05 Aug 2022 01:59:08 -0700 杨祥 <yangxiang.yx at bytedance.com> wrote:

> Hope this email finds you well.
> Please could you tell me what advantages WPE has over Blink?
>
> When I knew WPE, I thought it was a low-consumption engine with small
> footprint, light weight and good performance. Then I tested WPE and WebView
> with a sample demo that only opened a website in my mid-range mobile phone.
> The test results confused me,WPE has a lighter so size than WebView, but
> WPE has a larger memory and worse performace than WebView in runtime. Did
> there anything wrong with my test? Or does WPE have different strategies
> for low-end mobile phones? I knew you had invested a lot in hardware
> acceleration and will be continue in the future,I would like to know
> whether WPE has any memory optimization strategy in the future.

I understand that you are asking about the WPE Android port, because you
mention that you tested in a phone.

The main advantages we want WPE-Android to provide are:

 - Allowing application developers to include a web view widget that
   is the same on every Android device, and has a familiar API.

 - Provide a web view widget for Android systems which do not include
   one (for example, some base systems provided by hardware vendors
   do not include the Blink/Chrome based web view).

 - Provide an alternative web view implementation for people who may
   not want to depend on Google.

At this point WPE-Android is in development and it is *not* ready for
end users. We have some debugging features which cause unnecessary
overhead and slow down WPE (for example, messages are sent to the system
logs on each frame displayed): this is good for developers, but make
performance worse, and can increase memory usage.

Right now we are focusing on making WPE-Android work correctly, exposing
more API functions to Java/Kotlin, and updating to the most recent
stable WPE WebKit release. After that, we will focus on improving
rendering performance, memory usage, and reducing application startup
time.

I hope this answers your questions.

Cheers,
—Adrián