[wpe-webkit] Switching libwpe & wpebackend-fdo from CMake to Meson

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Fri Oct 23 01:47:58 PDT 2020

Hi there!

Samhain [1] is approaching, there is no better moment than now to resuscitate
an old mailing list thread…

On Mon, 02 Mar 2020 14:24:18 +0200 Adrian Perez de Castro <aperez at igalia.com> wrote:

> While Carlos López was suggesting in the libwpe PR that we could merge the
> Meson build support early and include it in the 1.6 releases along with the
> preexisting CMake build system, I think it is better to be a bit conservative
> and do it for 1.8: this way we have the whole development cycle (six months)
> to iron any rough edges and then another six months between 1.8 and 1.10 in
> which both build systems will coexist. This gives packagers (and ourselves)
> one year before the CMake build system is removed.

Today I realized that this message is ambiguous and does not say explicitly
whether the CMake build would be removed before or after make the release
branch for the 1.10 series.

To make things clear: the intention is to *remove* the CMake build now, and
version 1.10.0 will be the first stable that only uses Meson. Please speak
up if there are any concerns, but I trust it should be fine as most build
system and distributions have included Meson support for a good while now.

If there are no comments against, next week we'll proceed to remove the
CMake build system from libwpe and wpebackend-fdo. I will also make a
development release so those using them can start adapting already :)

Cheers,
—Adrián

---
[1] The pagan festivity celebrating the end of the harvest, more commonly
    known as Halloween.