[wpe-webkit] Switching libwpe & wpebackend-fdo from CMake to Meson

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Tue Nov 17 09:29:23 PST 2020

Hello,

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 11:47:58 +0300 Adrian Perez de Castro <aperez at igalia.com> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> Samhain [1] is approaching, there is no better moment than now to resuscitate
> an old mailing list thread…
>
> On Mon, 02 Mar 2020 14:24:18 +0200 Adrian Perez de Castro <aperez at igalia.com> wrote:
>
> > While Carlos López was suggesting in the libwpe PR that we could merge the
> > Meson build support early and include it in the 1.6 releases along with the
> > preexisting CMake build system, I think it is better to be a bit conservative
> > and do it for 1.8: this way we have the whole development cycle (six months)
> > to iron any rough edges and then another six months between 1.8 and 1.10 in
> > which both build systems will coexist. This gives packagers (and ourselves)
> > one year before the CMake build system is removed.
>
> Today I realized that this message is ambiguous and does not say explicitly
> whether the CMake build would be removed before or after make the release
> branch for the 1.10 series.
>
> To make things clear: the intention is to *remove* the CMake build now, and
> version 1.10.0 will be the first stable that only uses Meson. Please speak
> up if there are any concerns, but I trust it should be fine as most build
> system and distributions have included Meson support for a good while now.
>
> If there are no comments against, next week we'll proceed to remove the
> CMake build system from libwpe and wpebackend-fdo. I will also make a
> development release so those using them can start adapting already :)

Don commented [1] that removing the CMake build system from libwpe would not
be as friendly for them to use it with Visual Studio, so I am considering
that it may be a better option to support building libwpe with both CMake
and Meson. Would anyone object to this?

For WPEBackend-fdo, which is not expected to work outside Unix-y systems, we
would go ahead and remove the CMake build system anyway. After three weeks
waiting there has not been any comments, and therefore I understand that
everybody is fine with the change.

Cheers,
—Adrián

---