[wpe-webkit] Optimising performance for HTML5

Andy Pont andy.pont at sdcsystems.com
Tue Oct 22 06:17:35 PDT 2019

Hello,

We are using Cog and WPE Webkit on an i.MX6 Solo based board with a user
interface that is based on HTML5, Javascript and CSS and are having some
issues with fading and other canvas effects.  The board is running a
Yocto image with the following in conf/local.conf:

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/wpebackend = "wpebackend-rdk"
PACKAGECONFIG_pn-wpebackend-rdk = "imx6"

PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-cairo = " glesv2 egl"
PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-wpewebkit = " 2dcanvas"

We start the browser with the following command line:

cog --enable-accelerated-2d-canvas=1 appui/index.html

Are there any other settings we should be using either in the Yocto
build or when launching Cog as we are finding the CPIU usage is >90%?
Is there a definitive way to show that Cog is making use of the GPU?

-Andy.