[wpe-webkit] Showing GPU feature states

Andy Pont andy.pont at sdcsystems.com
Tue Nov 5 09:19:06 PST 2019

Adrian wrote…

>>  In the hardware acceleration information it says:
>>
>>  Policy - always
>>  WebGL - Yes
>>  API - OpenGL ES 2 (libepoxy)
>>  Native interface - EGL
>>  GL_RENDERER - Vivante GC880
>>  GL_VERSION - OpenGL ES 3.0 v6.2.4.p4.190076
>>  EGL_VERSION - 1.5
>>
>>  Does that make sense for a platform using the wpebackend-rdk for the
>>  i.MX6?
>
>Yes, this looks correct ��
>
>From the GL_* strings I guess that this is using the proprietary Vivante GPU
>driver; the GL_VENDOR string would confirm that (if I recall correctly, if
>the Etnaviv Mesa driver would be used, the GL_RENDERER string would contain
>“Mesa”).
Yes, we are using the proprietary Vivante GPU driver. We are trying to
run the system without Wayland or X11 and the Etnaviv driver seems to
require Wayland.

As far as I can tell, the GPU is being used correctly which still
doesn’t explain why we see such poor performance on the benchmark
website [1] we are using where we see single digit frame rates being
reported.

Looking at the page source it seems it uses a call to getContext(“2d”)
and then arc() and fill() calls to draw the circles on screen. Would we
get better performance using WebGL or WebGL2 and rendering a 2D image
into 3D space?

-Andy.

1 - https://themaninblue.com/experiment/AnimationBenchmark/canvas/