[wpe-webkit] Developer extras

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Tue Nov 5 05:08:12 PST 2019

Hello Andy,

On Mon, 04 Nov 2019 14:59:04 +0000, Andy Pont <andy.pont at sdcsystems.com> wrote:

> Adrian wrote...
>
> >The development inspector is accessed remotely over the network [1]. On top of
> >passing the flag, you need to define the “WEBKIT_INSPECTOR_SERVER” environment
> >variable before running Cog to configure the interface and port where the
> >service will listen for connections. For example, to make it listen on all
> >the available network interfaces, use:
> >
> >   WEBKIT_INSPECTOR_SERVER=0.0.0.0:12345 cog --enable-developer-extras=true <…>
> >
> >Then you will be able to use a WebKitGTK-based browser (like GNOME Web [2])
> >from a laptop or a desktop computer using an URL with the “inspector://”
> >scheme, using the IP address of your device:
> >
> >   epiphany inspector://192.168.0.100:12345
> >
> >This will open a window with a list of the web views which can be inspected
> >(currently only one, because Cog does not have support for more at the
> >moment).

> I have got this running up to a point. The GNOME Web browser (in Ubuntu
> 19.10) is showing the list of inspectable targets (the single simple HTML
> file loaded by Cog). When I click on the “Inspect” button the Web Inspector
> window opens but remains blank.
>
> What am I missing?

One thing that I forgot to mention in my previous e-mail is that it is better
to use a version of WebKitGTK (for GNOME Web on the desktop) from the same
release series. For example if you are using WPE WebKit 2.26.x (or 2.27.x)
it's a good idea to use make sure that GNOME Web on the Ubuntu box has
WebKitGTK 2.26.x installed. In the case of Ubuntu 19.04 it seems [1] that
distro is stuck in 2.24... An option there would be to use the Flatpak for
the GNOME Web Tech Preview [2] builds (which currently use WebKitGTK 2.26.x),
which should be installable from the command line easily:

  $ flatpak install --from https://webkitgtk.org/epiphany-tech-preview

Another thing to check is that the “libWPEInspectorResource.so” library has
been installed to the target device. If you are using the Yocto recipes from
meta-webkit, you need to add the “wpewebkit-web-inspector-plugin” package to
your images (on the other hand, the Buildroot package always installs it).

I hope the tips help!

Cheers,
—Adrián

---