[wpe-webkit] AArch64 builds in AUR

Andrea Giammarchi andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 08:45:01 PDT 2019

Hi Diego, everything starts with (I guess) this:
https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=13472&p=60754&hilit=S905x#p60754

I don't have that board (although I have a C2 somewhere...) but basically,
once you have ArchLinuxARM up and running, it's easy.

I give you the TL;DR version of what to do, once ArchLinux boots (I am
assuming you'll be using default `alarm` user).

# from alarm user, go root (default pass is root)
su

# update all the things
pacman-key --init
pacman-key --populate archlinuxarm
pacman -Syu

# get out from root
exit

# install sudo if you don't have already
bash <(curl -s archibold.io/install/sudo)

# install utility to deal with AUR
bash <(curl -s archibold.io/install/yay)

# install my pre-built packages
yay -S --needed --noconfirm cairo-glesv2-aarch64 wpewebkit-gl-aarch64

# install other stuff
yay -S --needed --noconfirm wpebackend-fdo weston

# install codecs for videos and stuff (note, there's also non FOSS in this
list)
yay -S --needed
--noconfirm gst-plugins-base gst-plugins-good gst-plugins-ugly gst-plugins-bad
gstreamer-vaapi gst-libav

# try to build cog (avoid no confirm flag in case it asks to import keys)
yay -S --needed cog

# if above fails, deal with cog
yay -S --needed --noconfirm git
git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/cog
cd cog-git

# edit the PKGBUILD file and remove the following:
validpgpkeys=('5AA3BC334FD7E3369E7C77B291C559DBE4C9123B')

# build the package
makepkg -Asfc --needed --noconfirm

# install it (needs whole name, press tab, instead of *, to have it)
yay -U cog-git*

# create a launcher
echo '#!/usr/bin/env bash
WEB_PAGE=https://duckduckgo.com
WAYLAND_DISPLAY=wpe COG_PLATFORM_FDO_VIEW_FULLSCREEN=1 cog -P fdo $WEB_PAGE
'>~/wpe

# make it executable
chmod a+x ~/wpe

# prepare Weston
mkdir -p ~/.config
echo '[core]
idle-time=0

[shell]
client=/home/alarm/wpe
animation=none
locking=false
'>~/.config/weston.ini

# that's it

Now you can launch `weston --socket=wpe --width=1280 --height=720`, as
example.

If you want to force another full-screen resolution, I've used XWayland for
that ... and here the extra instructions:

# install stuff
yay -S --needed --noconfirm xorg-server xorg-xinit xorg-xset xorg-xrandr

# prepare Xorg
echo 'xset s off -dpms
xrandr -s 1280x720
weston --socket=wpe --width=1280 --height=720'>~/.xinitrc

You also need to add `xwayland=true` inside `~/.config/weston.ini` file,
under `[core]` or after `idle-time=0`, or you can try passing the flag
directly when you launch Weston in `.xinitrc` as in `weston --socket=wpe
--xwayland --width=1280 --height=720`

I haven't tried last but IIRC it should be the same.

Try XWayland typing `startx`, and that's it.

I hope it worked, I hope it helped. If it did, you just need to either
create a systemd entry to start Weston or `/usr/bin/startx` automatically,
or you can have automatic login and an entry in the ~/.bashrc file to
startx right away on login.

Regards.