[wpe-webkit] Alternate display of two browser instances

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Tue Jan 15 14:20:29 PST 2019

Hello Gérald,

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 14:44:51 +0100, Gérald Gounot <gerald.gounot at citymeo.fr> wrote:

> I’m playing with WPE on Raspberry Pi for a while now and it’s awesome. WPE
> developers surely did a great work on it!

Thanks for the kind words :-)

> Now I’m stuck with a double-browser setup and looking for advices about it.
>
> My goal is to alternatively display two (or more) web pages so that the

I have had in the back of my mind some thoughts on this, and I have recently
started a refactoring [1] which will be needed to allow supporting multiple
Web views. Instead of letting the ideas be only in my mind, I have now files
an issue [2] which summarizes them.

> I duplicated the WebKitBrowser.json file to get 2 running browser instances
> and used the Suspend/Resume/Hide/Show commands to switch from one to the
> other. The problem is that sometimes the commands do not work as expected.
>
> In order to achieve a perfect control over the browsers displaying, I would
> like to leverage the layer system provided by DispmanX. Unfortunately I
> cannot find a way to change the layer on which a browser is displayed or
> get a handle on which I could apply the
> `vc_dispmanx_element_change_layer()` function.
>
> Do you have some ideas on how I could achieve that?

On top of needing the support I have outlined in #77 [2], another roadblock
here is that as far as I can remember, the code for WPEBackend-rdk contains
some assumptions which make it impossible to instantiate multiple Web views
in the same process. That will need fixing as well.

Regards,

-Adrián

---
[1] https://github.com/Igalia/cog/tree/platform-refactor-multiviews