[wpe-webkit] Fate of wpebackend-rd and WpeLauncher

Munez Bn munezbn.dev at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 05:37:38 PDT 2018

Hi All,

Few months back I had started using WPE on raspberry PI and I was able to
use the wpebackend-rdk and WPElauncher.

But now I see that many things have changed.

WPE webkit has official releases and website now.
Wpelauncher is going to be deprecated.
wpebackend is renamed as libwpe
wpebackend-fdo is added ( doesn't have much idea on this)
I also see a new WPE  launcher COG ( Not tried yet)
WebPlatformForEmbedded/buildroot is not active much
igalia/buildroot-wpe  overlay is added which doesn't have any launcher yet
or doesn't work yet.

Looking all this I have some questions now.

1. Is Wpebackend-rdk going to be deprecated or obsoleted ?
2. What is the launcher I should start looking into as WPElauncher is
getting deprecated.
3. wpebackend-fdo is meant for embedded system ? Is it running on RPI ? Is
it just a backend or includes launcher also ?
4. Is COG going to be added to WPE buildroot overlay any soon?

Thanks & Regards
Munez