[wpe-webkit] imx6 backend "no default display support on wayland"

Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez clopez at igalia.com
Wed Jun 13 03:21:32 PDT 2018

On 13/06/18 11:07, Seuntjens, Jonas wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to get webkit working on an i.mx6 Quad following the very clear guidelines on:
> https://github.com/Igalia/meta-webkit/wiki/WPE
> https://github.com/Igalia/meta-webkit/wiki/i.MX6
>
> I am able to do a complete build and have a working cog browser with wayland backend.
> However it seems that the performance is not completely what we expected. That is why we tried to build wpe-webkit with the i.mx6 backend which would render the full-screen directly to the framebuffers using the Vivante driver.

The usage of one backend over other may impact graphic performance, but
it has no impact at all on other parts of the performance of a webapp
(like JavaScript performance).

> This build completed but when I try to start the cog browser I get following error message:
>
> Initialization of linux input system succeeded.
> EGL: Warning: No default display support on wayland
> PlatformDisplayWPE: could not create the EGL display: EGL_SUCCESS
> ** (WPEWebProcess:1056): CRITITCAL **: gst_gl_display_egl_new_with_egl_display" assertion 'display != NULL' failed
> Cannot create EGL sharing context: invalid display (last error: EGL_SUCCESS)
>
> Build is using  Rocko Release 01 - 4.9.11.
> We also tried to run the cog browser directly from the command line (no wayland active) but we still have the same error.
>
> Do you have any idea what could be wrong here?

It looks a bit strange that it complains with a "no default display
support on wayland" error when the wpebackend-rdk/imx6 backend doesn't
use wayland at all.

I tested it on a Wandboard QP with Yocto rocko and it worked fine for me.

Can you double-check you are using wpebackend-rdk/imx6 backend ?
That one is selected by setting on local.conf:

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/wpebackend = "wpebackend-rdk"
PACKAGECONFIG_pn-wpebackend-rdk = "imx6"

And rebuilding the image.

Then when the image starts, weston has to be stopped and cog launched
via a text terminal (or via SSH). To select the window size export the
env variables before launching cog like:

export WPE_INIT_VIEW_WIDTH=1280
export WPE_INIT_VIEW_HEIGHT=720