[wpe-webkit] Hardware leveraging on imx6?

zan at falconsigh.net zan at falconsigh.net
Thu Jul 5 11:58:25 PDT 2018

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, at 12:29 AM, Vanhauwaert Wouter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We've created an application based on wpewebkit 2.20 lately. This is
> running on imx6, directly on the vivante-backend. My test application
> (even with rotating video) works well.
> However, the webapp of our customer is not behaving ok performance-wise
> (fading in/out, animations, ...) Flashing white screens in between, ...
> Now they ask us how they can improve. But I don't quite know what to
> say... Is there a list somewhere of what animations are directed to the
> hardware, and how to use them?
> Or which method is preferred over the other + examples? (I'm not a
> webdesigner myself) Is there some kind of manual how to create
> webcontent towards webkit/wpe?
>
> Grt,
> Wouter

Hi,

described at a high level, the following three types of animations can be offloaded to the GPU:
- transforms,
- opacity changes,
- CSS filters.

I can't explain what's weighing down your customer's application without additional information (test cases would be best). But white screen flashes shouldn't be occurring (assuming they're not somehow imposed by the Web content itself), though that might indicate an issue in the implementation of the WPE backend you're using.

CSS filters in general (i.e. also when not animated) have a higher chance of hitting weird GPU bugs due to different shaders that are used for different filter types. Even then, I wouldn't want people to write Web content against specific engines, so I'd rather see  specific cases that WPE might be able to improve on.

Regards,
Zan