[wpe-webkit] running as a systemd service prevents EventSource working

Aras Vaichas aras.vaichas at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 08:53:37 PST 2018

> I don't have any experience with systemd and its service mechanism. As a
> starting point, I would suggest using strace to examine dispatched
> syscalls in the NetworkProcess, and seeing if something obvious comes up
> from that.
> Cheers,
> Zan

I ran strace on network process thread:

socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM|SOCK_CLOEXEC, IPPROTO_IP) = -1 EACCES
(Permission denied)

My kernel was built with CONFIG_ANDROID_PARANOID_NETWORK, which disables
socket() creation for processes which aren't in certain groups.

Turns out that our systemd implementation was discarding groups. So when I
run under systemd, I wasn't in the right groups any more.

Fixed by adding the correct groups to the service file:
SupplementaryGroups=inet

Aras