[webkit-qt] Qtwebkit 5.212 setuserstylesheet() is taking 7seconds time first time on startup

Ramakanth Kesireddy rama.kesi at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 02:00:04 PST 2020

Hello Konstantin,

Here is the sample app where the delay is reproduced even on Ubuntu 16.04
desktop.
user.css and png files are to be placed in /usr/share/images directory in
the filesystem.

home at ubuntu:~/Project/thread_QtApp$ sudo ./thread_QtApp
 Elapse time for QWebView creation 0
Elapse time for m_webView->page() 42722
Elapse time for setUserStyleSheetUrl 0
Elapse time for installEventFilter 0
width: 640 height: 480
Elapse time for setHtml() 61
UiAppInstance::createUserInterface <<<
QEventLoop: Cannot be used without QApplication

It shall create fontconfig cache files for the first time in
/var/cache/fontconfig which is causing delay for the first time.
This issue can be reproduced always when fontconfig caches are deleted.

On further debugs in the Qtwebkit sources, it gets stuck in the below
highlighted one.

QWebSettings::QWebSettings()
: d(new QWebSettingsPrivate)
{
// Initialize our global defaults
d->fontSizes.insert(QWebSettings::MinimumFontSize, 0);
d->fontSizes.insert(QWebSettings::MinimumLogicalFontSize, 0);
d->fontSizes.insert(QWebSettings::DefaultFontSize, 16);
d->fontSizes.insert(QWebSettings::DefaultFixedFontSize, 13);
QFont defaultFont;
defaultFont.setStyleHint(QFont::Serif);
d->fontFamilies.insert(QWebSettings::StandardFont,
defaultFont.defaultFamily());
d->fontFamilies.insert(QWebSettings::SerifFont,
defaultFont.defaultFamily());
}

As mentioned in the
https://github.com/qtwebkit/qtwebkit/wiki/Building-QtWebKit-on-Linux,
fontconfig is an optional dependency.

Could you please let me know if there is any cmake option to remove
fontconfig dependency in the qtwebkit configuration or any
other thoughts ?

The same issue is being reproduced in the UIApp on target as mentioned in
the qtwebkit issue https://github.com/qtwebkit/qtwebkit/issues/1039

Appreciate your kind suggestions in this regard.

Thanks and Regards,
Ramakanth