[webkit-qt] progressive rendering in a QML browser

Olivier Tilloy olivier at tilloy.net
Mon Mar 25 03:28:20 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I have been observing that the rendering of web pages in a QML browser
seems to happen in one go at the very end of the loading process, as
opposed to other webkit browsers (such as chromium).

In my tests, I deleted the cache and I intentionally slowed down the
network interface to better observe when rendering starts to happen.
I’ve mostly experimented with http://nytimes.com, which is a rather
heavy page. I’m running those tests on an x86 desktop machine, but the
same results are observed on mobile hardware (armhf).

With the QML MiniBrowser compiled from webkit trunk against QtWebKit
5.0, nothing is rendered until the page is fully loaded (i.e. the
webview remains completely blank until the progress bar reaches completion).

With chromium (25.0.1364.160-0ubuntu0.12.10.1), rendering is clearly
progressive, with elements of the page being displayed before loading is
complete (and of course, some re-layout happening).

Is this a known issue/feature? Are there some build options that I can
experiment with to tweak this?

Thanks!

  Olivier