[webkit-qt] Shipping QtWebKit private headers

Jocelyn Turcotte jocelyn.turcotte at digia.com
Fri Mar 8 09:57:18 PST 2013

Hello,

On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 01:43:30PM +0200, Alberto Mardegan wrote:
> So, I'm wondering if it would make sense to move them into a separate
> repository, which could then being built separately from QtWebKit.
> So far, I didn't have to modify any code in WebKit, so my plugin should
> actually work along with an unmodified version of QtWebKit.

Since we won't offer official support and releases for this code, I think that this whould help putting the barrier lower for the surrounding community to contribute to this effort.

> But in order to build it, I needed to make use of some of the private
> headers (such as QWebPageAdaptor).
> Given that the corresponding symbols are defined (at least in Ubuntu's
> libQt5WebKit.so), do you think it makes sense to distribute private
> headers as well?

Those headers are going to change for sure, so personally I think that it would make it easier if you would be able to use the widgets/webkitwidgets stable API instead.
The performance loss that you would suffer from the WebKit1 graphics limitations are going to be more important than the widgets overhead anyway IMHO.

I think that using QWebPageAdapter is a great idea short term, but it would be a mistake to guarantee you that we won't change this module architecture detail considerably in the future.

Please don't hesitate du ping a few people on IRC to discuss the details.

Cheers,
Jocelyn