[webkit-qt] sending backspace using virtual keyboard

Chris Craig craig at ics.com
Thu Jun 27 13:24:26 PDT 2013

Hello,

I'm trying to implement a virtual keyboard in Qt 5 and use it to enter text
in a QML WebView element.  This has not been easy, as it seems there is a
bug where the keyboard won't even appear (see
https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-qt/2013-June/003726.html for
details).

Moving past that, I can get the keyboard to display and send input
characters to the WebView element.  I cannot, however, make backspace work.
 The method that works with the QML TextInput element (shown below), does
not work with WebView.

    QInputMethodEvent ev;

    ev.setCommitString("",-1,1);

Looking at the source, I don't see anything in
QtWebPageEventHandler::handleInputMethodEvent() that would handle a
backspace.  Is this even possible?  Any hints or pointers would be
very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris