[webkit-qt] Flash on Linux

Zach Tibbitts zachtib at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 13:26:22 PDT 2013

I'm working on a digital signage project in Qt, and am running into an
issue trying to play Flash files through a QWebView on Linux (the method
I'm using works fine when I build the project on Windows).

I'm loading the Flash file with an HTML wrapper that looks like this:

    <object data="FILE_PATH" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
width="100%" height="100%">
      <param name="movie" value="FILE_PATH">
      <param name="quality" value="high">
      <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000">
      <param name="FlashVars" value="FLASH_VARS">
      <param name="wmode" value="W_MODE">
      <param name="scale" value="FLASH_SCALE">
      <embed src="FILE_PATH" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000"
width="FLASH_WIDTH" height="FLASH_HEIGHT" wmode="opaque" name="FILE_PATH"
align="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="
http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>
    </object>

(wmode is being set to opaque on Linux, direct on Windows).

Anyways, when a file plays on Linux, we get a lot of black boxes drawn over
top of the animation wherever it was redrawing or there was an item moving.
Using wmode direct just renders black and I don't get anything at all.

We found a somewhat working workaround, by calling repaint on the widget
every few milliseconds, which mostly makes the black boxes go away, but
causes very high CPU usage.

Could someone point me in the right direction on this? Is Flash on Linux
supposed to work, and if not, is it being worked on for a future release?

--
Zach Tibbitts