[webkit-qt] WK2/QML handling of unresponsive/crashed web process

Jocelyn Turcotte jocelyn.turcotte at digia.com
Wed Jan 30 06:22:20 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 02:49:18PM +0100, Milian Wolff wrote:
> The process-question I asked to clarify my understaning for when I have to
> work on writing the code to handle the unresponsive/crashed web process.
>
> My use case is a WebView as a local-HTML renderer (opposed to a full fledged
> browser). It would be embedded in a bigger QML app and just part of the full
> package. One does not want it to show a blank white page showing "web process
> crashed": To get rid of it after all, the user would have to press some reload
> GUI element. Especially on embedded devices with limited screen real estate
> you don't want to clutter it with such a reload button.
>
> Rather one might want to reload the page automatically and increase some crash
> counter. If it failed for N times consecutively though one should probably
> show a proper error page - but that should be properly styled and integrated
> into the rest of the application. It could e.g. contain additional information
> and offer to report a bug or something.
>
> None of these things above are possible to handle right now using QtWebKit
> from QML - or am I missing something?

Ok, same idea as suggested on my response to Alexis, how about exposing the processDidCrash signal (along with processDidBecomeUnresponsive for unresponsiveness), which could then be handled by the QML code to call reload automatically, or prompt the user first, or just ignore it and let the user press the reload button. Would that solve your issue?

Cheers,
Jocelyn