[webkit-qt] WK2/QML handling of unresponsive/crashed web process

Milian Wolff milian.wolff at kdab.com
Mon Jan 28 07:42:56 PST 2013

Hey guys,

have you any plans on handling the WKPageLoaderClient's
processDidBecomeResponsive or processDidCrash callbacks?

I could imagine writing the code required to push these signals all the way up
to QML similar to the other webview.experimental.* callbacks such as
runJavaScriptAlert in QtWebPageUIClient.

The question is - how could I design the handler in a way that it would be
accepted upstream? Especially I wonder whether it would be OK to push the PID
or similar of the webprocess when it hangs, such that I could kill it from a
C++ object exposed to QML.

Also, I'm not sure how to handle the case when the webprocess crashed.
Restarting it shounds simple enough, but will it actually be simple to do?
Especially updating any potential references to the web process might be error
prone - or is it only stored centrally?

Generally, there is always only web process per webview - right? Or is there
even just one per QML/WK2 app - i.e. do multiple webviews share the same
webprocess?

Cheers
--
Milian Wolff | milian.wolff at kdab.com | Software Engineer
Tel. Germany +49-30-521325470, Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090