[webkit-qt] Spellchecking with C API (was: APIs going forward)

José Dapena Paz jdapena at igalia.com
Tue Feb 5 02:37:53 PST 2013

El mar, 05-02-2013 a las 11:21 +0100, Kenneth Rohde Christiansen
escribió:
> Isnt that the exact reason why there is a WK C API for replacing the
> default spell checker?

In fact, yes. I could add a text checker client using our internal API
just using WK C API. So yes, we don't really depend on Enchant, and we
could use any other backend by default.

The thing is that we already have an implementation working for Enchant,
and it is already used in other ports. I wouldn't mind adding a new
default implementation later, but I'd really need to have something
working soon.

So, please check if this plan makes sense:
1. (me) Finish spellchecking support to Qt port. For TextCheckerClient
we provide an enchant based default implementation using WebCore
TextCheckerEnchant, and a C API for changing checked language and
setting it as the spellchecker.
2. (someone else interested) Create a new implementation (hunspell,
chrome hunspell, or whatever). Add a C API to set languages, whatever is
needed to customize how hunspell works for the app.
3. Once it is checked the new implementation is realiable and better
than enchant, just drop old implementation.

The goal of the plan is avoid blocking spellcheck support
implementation, depending on an unknown schedule. I send my
implementation, and once someone else adds a better implementation, we
just drop the old one.