[webkit-qt] APIs going forward

Sergio Villar Senin svillar at igalia.com
Tue Feb 5 00:39:15 PST 2013

En 04/02/13 11:13, Simon Hausmann escribiu:

> The separation allows us to keep the QML API minimal and simple, following one
> of the Qt principles that the common things should be easy to do. If you need
> more then you'll have to fall back to the underlying library that provides a
> lower level API. If done right it would be possible to combine the two, i.e.
> if you'd like to use the QML webview in your application but need to fine-tune
> one aspect really specific to your use-case (say the cookie storage location or
> making sure that you have a dedicated web process), then you would be able to
> connect the QML webview with the underlying WebKit2 C API that.
>
> How does that sound?

So if I understood it correctly, the plan is to export the whole C API
and then have a small subset of it available through QML which will
cover most of application use cases. That sounds more than sensible and
I'd bet that it will make most of the users happy.

But, the potential issue I see is that the C API does not currently look
as stable as it was supposed to be (because of the recent changes in WK2
governance). I don't know much about the Qt project policies but I guess
that if you provide some API in a stable release you'd have to support
it for some releases. What's the plan for that?

BR