[webkit-qt] Building QTWebkit 2.3.2 on mac osx - is it possible?

Seth Call sethcall at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 10:51:24 PDT 2013

Hey there,

I'm currently trying to get QTwebkit 2.3.2 to build on Mac OSX (10.8.4).
I'm using the staging branch, as suggested by Allan in the blog.

I have tried a number of permutations on the build arguments for the
Tools/Scripts/build-webkit with no success.  Let me share my most recent
attempts:

./Tools/Scripts/build-webkit --qt -prefix=${QTDIR}  --makeargs="-j1" -spec
unsupported/macx-clang --no-webkit2  --qmakearg='CONFIG+=production_build'
--release

Then eventually I get a compilation error:

../Source/WebCore/platform/mac/WebVideoFullscreenController.mm:514:39:
error: cannot initialize a parameter of type
      'id<NSAnimationDelegate>' with an lvalue of type
'WebVideoFullscreenWindow *'
    [_fullscreenAnimation setDelegate:self];
                                      ^~~~

Not knowing anything about this code or how to fix it, I simply tried
adding --no-video (which is OK for my webkit needs).  However, adding
--no-video results in this particular error:

rm -f libWebKit1.a
ar cq libWebKit1.a obj/debug/qwebframe.o obj/debug/qgraphicswebview.o
obj/debug/qwebpage.o obj/debug/qwebview.o obj/debug/qwebelement.o
obj/debug/qwebhistory.o obj/debug/qwebsettings.o
obj/debug/qwebhistoryinterface.o obj/debug/qwebplugindatabase.o
obj/debug/qwebpluginfactory.o obj/debug/qwebsecurityorigin.o
obj/debug/qwebscriptworld.o obj/debug/qwebdatabase.o
obj/debug/qwebinspector.o obj/debug/qwebkitversion.o
obj/debug/qhttpheader.o obj/debug/QtFallbackWebPopup.o
obj/debug/QtWebComboBox.o obj/debug/ChromeClientQt.o
obj/debug/ContextMenuClientQt.o obj/debug/DragClientQt.o
obj/debug/DumpRenderTreeSupportQt.o obj/debug/EditorClientQt.o
obj/debug/UndoStepQt.o obj/debug/FrameLoaderClientQt.o
obj/debug/FrameNetworkingContextQt.o
obj/debug/GeolocationPermissionClientQt.o obj/debug/InitWebCoreQt.o
obj/debug/InspectorClientQt.o obj/debug/InspectorServerQt.o
obj/debug/NotificationPresenterClientQt.o obj/debug/PageClientQt.o
obj/debug/PopupMenuQt.o obj/debug/QStyleFacadeImp.o
obj/debug/QtPlatformPlugin.o obj/debug/SearchPopupMenuQt.o
obj/debug/TextCheckerClientQt.o obj/debug/PlatformStrategiesQt.o
obj/debug/WebEventConversion.o obj/debug/IconDatabaseClientQt.o
obj/debug/moc_qwebkitplatformplugin.o obj/debug/moc_qwebhistoryinterface.o
obj/debug/moc_qwebpluginfactory.o obj/debug/moc_qwebinspector.o
obj/debug/moc_qwebplugindatabase_p.o obj/debug/moc_InspectorServerQt.o
obj/debug/moc_QtFallbackWebPopup.o obj/debug/moc_QtWebComboBox.o
/usr/bin/ranlib: file: libWebKit1.a(GeolocationPermissionClientQt.o) has no
symbols
ranlib -s libWebKit1.a
ranlib: file: libWebKit1.a(GeolocationPermissionClientQt.o) has no symbols
rm -f release/libWebKit1.a
mv -f libWebKit1.a release/
cd Source/ && make -f Makefile.QtWebKit
make -f Makefile.QtWebKit.api
rm -f libQtWebKit.a
ar cq libQtWebKit.a
ar: no archive members specified
usage:  ar -d [-TLsv] archive file ...
    ar -m [-TLsv] archive file ...
    ar -m [-abiTLsv] position archive file ...
    ar -p [-TLsv] archive [file ...]
    ar -q [-cTLsv] archive file ...
    ar -r [-cuTLsv] archive file ...
    ar -r [-abciuTLsv] position archive file ...
    ar -t [-TLsv] archive [file ...]
    ar -x [-ouTLsv] archive [file ...]
make[3]: *** [../lib/libQtWebKit.a] Error 1
make[2]: *** [sub-api-pri-make_default-ordered] Error 2
make[1]: *** [sub-Source-QtWebKit-pro-make_default-ordered] Error 2
make: *** [incremental] Error 2

Xcode 4.6.3
Build version 4H1503

So... in closing--does anyone have a way to build 2.3.2 on mac?  Is there
something obviously wrong or missing from the options I'm passing to
build-webkit?

Thanks so much for any help,
Seth