[webkit-qt] progressive rendering in a QML browser

Andras Becsi abecsi at webkit.org
Thu Apr 11 03:42:53 PDT 2013

Hi Oliver,

>>> https://launchpad.net/~**canonical-qt5-edgers/+archive/**qt5-proper<https://launchpad.net/~canonical-qt5-edgers/+archive/qt5-proper>)
>>> in
>>> Ubuntu 12.10, which according to the source package is based off trunk
>>> subversion revision 136242.
>>>

>> A heads-up on my ongoing investigation of the issue: packages built from
>> trunk (tested on 2013-03-28) work well, i.e. pages start rendering while
>> still loading, whereas packages built from the latest release branch
>> (git://gitorious.org/qt/**qtwebkit.git<http://gitorious.org/qt/qtwebkit.git>,
>> being prepared for 5.1.0) still
>> exhibit the issue, i.e. pages are not rendered until fully loaded.
>>
>> So the problem persists in 5.0.1 and above, but has somehow been fixed
>> in trunk. If I read the history of the release branch correctly, the
>> latest import from trunk was revision
>> 6a4a1d32e1d779548c726c4826cba9**d69eb87601 (svn 136242), on 2012-11-30.
>> Which makes me think that the issue (regression?) was fixed sometime
>> between 2012-11-30 and 2013-03-28 in trunk (roughly 10000 commits).
>>

> It took a lot of bisecting, building and testing, but I finally nailed
> down the commit that fixed this regression: http://trac.webkit.org/**
> changeset/136302 <http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/136302>.
>
> This commit applies cleanly on top of the current qtwebkit release branch,
> and fixes progressive rendering (i.e. pages start to display before fully
> loaded).

Thank you for doing the bisecting. I was about to look into it, but got
sidetracked.

>  Any hint where I should be looking for what possibly fixed the issue?
>>
>> Do others observe the same issue with 5.0.1?
>>

> I’m kind of puzzled that no-one else has observed that, looks like an
> important regression to me.
>
> Any chance commit 136302 can be backported to the release branch for 5.1.0
> ? What would be the process for this?

I just checked and could reproduce the issue with the stable branch of the
qtwebkit module. I'm going to cherry-pick the change the stable branch so
that it is included in 5.1.

/Andras