[webkit-qt] [heads up] Build dependencies for the WebKit build on Windows

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at nokia.com
Tue Sep 11 23:51:58 PDT 2012

Hi,

This is a heads-up regarding the build of WebKit on Windows:

Building WebKit on Windows always comes with the extra difficulty of having to
install build support tools that don't come with the platform. The build makes
heavy use of python and perl for automating the generation of various pieces
of source code. In that context there are two changes coming up:

    1) For WebGL, CSS shaders and WebKit2 (GL TextureMapper) we do need to
include the shader (re-)compiler of ANGLE in the build. The sources are part
of WebKit (so no issue here), but the build requires a somewhat recent version
of flex. Unfortunately the version of flex that the GnuWin32 project
conveniently distributes with installers is too old to build the lexer of
ANGLEs shader compiler. As a consequence I'm changing the dependency on
Windows to another distribution of flex called Win Flex-Bison (
http://sourceforge.net/projects/winflexbison/ ). To keep things simple I'm
adding a copy of the binary needed to qt5.git's gnuwin32\bin directory and
will modify the WebKit build to pick it up automatically form there, if it can
be found. If however for whatever reason you're building without qt5.git or
otherwise see the build failing when it tries to call win_flex, then you need
to install winflexbison and put it into your PATH.

    2) Due to changes in JavaScriptCore's non-JITted code path (1) the build
is also soon going to require an installation of Ruby (2).

Simon

(1) http://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2012-September/022157.html

(2) That means the build will depend on Perl, Ruby and Python scripting run-
times. I personally find these rather main-stream and would like to see more
exotic languages to be used for build assistance, such as Lua, Lisp or perhaps
we can even find a use-case for BASIC :-)