[webkit-qt] updating Qt5 in the future

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at digia.com
Tue Nov 6 04:45:31 PST 2012

On Tuesday, November 06, 2012 10:58:41 AM Osztrogonac Csaba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that Qt3D, QtLocation and QtSensors aren't qt5.git submodules
> anymore:
> http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt5/commit/41c3f2cb5f633f0e540482ca01b2c2caa2475
> e57 https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-27736
>
> Now building WebKit depends on Qt3D, QtLocation and QtSensors too.
> Unfortunately the latest Qt3D submodule isn't buildable with qt5.git trunk.
> And we can't build QtLocation without Qt3D. Without CI check it will be
> harder and harder to find buildable Qt3D, QtLocation, QtSensors hashes.
>
> Should we drop building these submodules? If yes, we should skip geolocation
> and deviceorientation related tests, because they won't work anymore.
> (Fortunately build-webkit disable these features automatically if necessary
> modules are missing.)

I think we should follow your suggestion and drop them - as much as that sucks
:(

The modules are currently without active maintenance and targetting, they are
excluded from the Qt 5.0 release. Therefore I don't think we win much by
depending on them right now. As you point you, depending on them brings in all
sorts of additional maintenance burden (build issues), so my recommendation is
that we use what's in qt5.git and skip accordingly.

Now I do hope that after Qt 5.0 is out we'll get some of those modules back -
perhaps as part of the efforts to get Qt working well on Android hardware for
example.

Simon

P.S.: Purely theoretically we're not really using functionality QtLocation for
the layout test, as those go through mock clients, right?