[webkit-qt] About the fonts used for QtWebKit tests

Caio Marcelo de Oliveira Filho caio.oliveira at openbossa.org
Thu May 31 07:53:20 PDT 2012

Hello,

Thanks for the replies here and IRC, folks!

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Kenneth Rohde Christiansen
<kenneth.christiansen at gmail.com> wrote:
> To question (2) Liberation font, I think it is a good idea to make the
> switch. But should we do that before the other fix? or does it make
> more sense to do both together?

I think we should do together. The intermediate step would be a huge
amount of work that would have to be repeated again when changing the
font.

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Osztrogonac Csaba
<oszi at inf.u-szeged.hu> wrote:
> And will Qt 4.8, Qt 5.0 WK1 and Qt 5.0 WK2 testresults match after this
> change?
> Now our problem is that Qt 4.8 and Qt 5.0 WK2 results match, but Qt 5.0 WK1
> is different. Or it would be different without elproxy's testfonts hack.

Based on some samples I think they will. I'll do another round of
testing with the Liberation fonts soon.

> So landing all new baselines would take days. (And otherwise we should
> check them one by one to avoid accidentally commit wrong expected files
> and hide new bugs.) In this case skipping tests for 1-2-3 days are
> absolutely reasonable.

OK!
Just noting here that having to checking Qt 4.8 too will make this
take longer... :-P

> Just a question. What kind of (test)fonts use the other ports? Apple? GTK?
> Chromium?

Chromium requires a lot of fonts for testing, but the basic trio is
the MS Core Fonts. GTK uses Liberation family.
I don't know about Apple, but my guess is they have MS Core Fonts in
the system as well, so they can use that.

> Will our results be closer to them with this change? And what about Qt-Mac
> port?

AFAIK Qt Mac use the same font code path as Qt Linux, is this correct? (elproxy)
In theory they should look a like, but I didn't investigate Qt Mac
specifically yet.

Ossy, another issue: currently we have some outdated *-expected.png
files hanging around the platform/qt. I say outdated because I don't
think they pass anymore based on my tests, the history, and the fact
that we don't do pixel tests. What's the approach here: do we generate
new versions of the ones that exist again? We get rid of them until we
have a bot running pixel tests? In the IRC people mentioned they are
good for reference purposes, but I think the other platforms updated
results could serve better as a reference than this.

Cheers,

--
Caio Marcelo de Oliveira Filho
openBossa @ INdT - Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia