[webkit-qt] Proposal: Qt 4 removal from trunk, Qt 5 changes

Alexis Menard alexis.menard at openbossa.org
Mon May 14 10:17:34 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 6:47 PM, Andrea Diamantini <adjam7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 May 2012 19:13:58 Alexis Menard wrote:
>> I have some good questions :
> I'll try to reply at my best, then :)
>> - How often you plan to merge trunk back in that branch? Up-until
>> when? When you will decide to branch? And will you maintain your trunk
>> + the branch?
> Given the decision to remove the qt4 bits from trunk, I think the best
> decision should be to stop merging back from trunk one commit before that :)
> Then I can branch out from there the hypothetical "qtwebkit-2.3" branch on
> start the stabilization process.
>> - How many releases you plan to do? Do you know how long it take to
>> stabilize a fork to make a release?
> Not sure about the number of releases. I was planning to release the branch in
> a couple of months from its branching and continue doing bugfixing there.
>> - How long you plan to support this Qt4 based repo?
> Until KDE will move to Qt5.
>> The proposal was not to remove WK1, it was to remove the Qt4 support.
>> We did a refresh for Qt 4.8 with Qt WebKit 2.2. I would say maybe
>> doing a QtWebKit 2.3 make sense but after that I'm not sure it is
>> worth the effort.
>> In a near future we will have to switch the bots to run Qt5 and make
>> those default on build.webkit.org (as we are leading towards Qt 5.0),
>> read, there will be no QA whatsoever on the trunk with Qt4 (unless you
>> run you own bot instance on the private).
> I obviously try building and running the tests locally before the push. Let's
> say that doing it locally is part of the "webkit dev learning process".
>> So here is some proposal :
>> - Before the remove of Qt4 support (which is to be defined), integrate
>> into your branch.
>> - Add KDE features and maybe some other suggestions from the community.
>> - Stabilize and fix (count a very good 6 months maybe more). In the
>> meantime you should cherry pick security issues, and potential bug fix
>> you are interested in.
>> - Release QtWebKit 2.3.
>> Call it done.
> Yes, this is basically what I was thinking. But for the six months period. Is
> a so loooong period really needed to stabilize all the code?
>> Help us to improve QtWebKit for Qt 5 with WK2. By that time Qt 5.0
>> will be out, plenty of time to hack on features/API and improvements.
>> Maybe KDE Frameworks with Qt5 will be released (or on the way) so the
>> kdewebkit could benefit from a newer API with WK2 (who knows).
>> What do you think?
> Don't know where you are from. In Italy we have no more than 24 hours a day,
> sorry :D
> More seriously, this qt4 port + rekonq development is involving me really a
> lot. When the qt4 experience will be definitely closed, I'll try to move and
> help a bit with WK/Qt5

I meant after you are done with Qt4 :)

>> Thanks.
> Thank you.
> [snip]
> --
> Andrea Diamantini, adjam
> GPG Fingerprint: 57DE 8E32 7D1A 0E16 AA52 59D8 84F9 3ECD DBF9 730F
> rekonq project
> WEB: http://rekonq.kde.org
> IRC: rekonq at freenode
> _______________________________________________
> webkit-qt mailing list
> webkit-qt at lists.webkit.org
> http://lists.webkit.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/webkit-qt

Alexis Menard (darktears)
Software Engineer
openBossa @ INdT - Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia

More information about the webkit-qt mailing list