[webkit-qt] Proposal: Qt 4 removal from trunk, Qt 5 changes

Alexis Menard alexis.menard at openbossa.org
Wed May 9 15:13:58 PDT 2012

I have some good questions :

- How often you plan to merge trunk back in that branch? Up-until
when? When you will decide to branch? And will you maintain your trunk
+ the branch?

- How many releases you plan to do? Do you know how long it take to
stabilize a fork to make a release?

- How long you plan to support this Qt4 based repo?

The proposal was not to remove WK1, it was to remove the Qt4 support.

We did a refresh for Qt 4.8 with Qt WebKit 2.2. I would say maybe
doing a QtWebKit 2.3 make sense but after that I'm not sure it is
worth the effort.

In a near future we will have to switch the bots to run Qt5 and make
those default on build.webkit.org (as we are leading towards Qt 5.0),
read, there will be no QA whatsoever on the trunk with Qt4 (unless you
run you own bot instance on the private).

So here is some proposal :

- Before the remove of Qt4 support (which is to be defined), integrate
into your branch.
- Add KDE features and maybe some other suggestions from the community.
- Stabilize and fix (count a very good 6 months maybe more). In the
meantime you should cherry pick security issues, and potential bug fix
you are interested in.
- Release QtWebKit 2.3.

Call it done.

Help us to improve QtWebKit for Qt 5 with WK2. By that time Qt 5.0
will be out, plenty of time to hack on features/API and improvements.
Maybe KDE Frameworks with Qt5 will be released (or on the way) so the
kdewebkit could benefit from a newer API with WK2 (who knows).

What do you think?

Thanks.

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Andrea Diamantini <adjam7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 May 2012 09:00:11 Alexis Menard wrote:
>> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 6:02 AM, Simon Hausmann <simon.hausmann at nokia.com>
> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > After a few emails, let me formulate a concrete proposal:
>> >
>> >    (1) Andrea Diamantini maintains an up-to-date port of WebKit that runs
>> > with Qt 4, on gitorious.org.
>>
>> That needs to be properly announced to a blog post no?
>
> I was planning to do this on planetkde during this week.
>
>> >    (2) End of May we remove Qt 4 code paths from WebKit trunk.
>>
>> Yaheeee!
>>
>> >    (3) We replace the Qt 4 based bot on build.webkit.org with the Qt 5 one
>> > (hosted on Amazon, right?)
>>
>> What about the others? Windows/Minimal/ARM/Apple SL.
>>
>> Ok granted we need to move them to Qt5, but we need somehow a version
>> to stick with Qt5 otherwise every week updating to the current hash
>> will take a lot of time / ressources. So what about moving them to Qt5
>> when Qt5 reach beta?
>>
>> That is a starting point for all of us to stabilize.
>>
>> >    (4) After that we rename the QtWebKit module (and thus library) in
>> > trunk
>> > to QtWebKitWidgets. That's no change in the directory structure or file
>> > names, just build system changes. This gives us the option of introducing
>> > a new QtWidgets-free "QtWebKit" module later during the life-time of Qt
>> > 5, essentially realizing a library split where QtWebKitWidgets would link
>> > against the new QtWebKit. (Note that this change doesn't affect anyone
>> > using the QML2 WK2 APIs, as those don't require direct linkage but only
>> > use dynamic plugin imports)
>> >

>> > Thoughts? :)
>> >

>> > Simon

> --
> Andrea Diamantini, adjam
> GPG Fingerprint: 57DE 8E32 7D1A 0E16 AA52 59D8 84F9 3ECD DBF9 730F
>
> rekonq project
> WEB: http://rekonq.kde.org
> IRC: rekonq at freenode

Alexis Menard (darktears)