[webkit-qt] Proposal: Qt 4 removal from trunk, Qt 5 changes

Zoltan Horvath zoltan at webkit.org
Wed May 9 02:19:20 PDT 2012

Hello there,

On Wed, 09 May 2012 11:02:15 +0200, Simon Hausmann
<simon.hausmann at nokia.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After a few emails, let me formulate a concrete proposal:
>
>     (1) Andrea Diamantini maintains an up-to-date port of WebKit that
> runs
> with Qt 4, on gitorious.org.
>
>     (2) End of May we remove Qt 4 code paths from WebKit trunk.

This means that after the (2)nd step ends we will be able to build the
Qt4+WebKitTrunk only through the gitorious repo. Right?

>     (3) We replace the Qt 4 based bot on build.webkit.org with the Qt 5
> one
> (hosted on Amazon, right?)
>
>     (4) After that we rename the QtWebKit module (and thus library) in
> trunk
> to QtWebKitWidgets. That's no change in the directory structure or file
> names,
> just build system changes. This gives us the option of introducing a new
> QtWidgets-free "QtWebKit" module later during the life-time of Qt 5,
> essentially realizing a library split where QtWebKitWidgets would link
> against
> the new QtWebKit. (Note that this change doesn't affect anyone using the
> QML2
> WK2 APIs, as those don't require direct linkage but only use dynamic
> plugin
> imports)

I think, this will be confusing a bit for newbies, so I think it will be
good to have a wiki page about this information if there will be no
objections. :)

> Thoughts? :)

Inlined.

> Simon