[webkit-qt] Proposal: Qt 4 removal from trunk, Qt 5 changes

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at nokia.com
Wed May 9 02:02:15 PDT 2012

Hi,

After a few emails, let me formulate a concrete proposal:

    (1) Andrea Diamantini maintains an up-to-date port of WebKit that runs
with Qt 4, on gitorious.org.

    (2) End of May we remove Qt 4 code paths from WebKit trunk.

    (3) We replace the Qt 4 based bot on build.webkit.org with the Qt 5 one
(hosted on Amazon, right?)

    (4) After that we rename the QtWebKit module (and thus library) in trunk
to QtWebKitWidgets. That's no change in the directory structure or file names,
just build system changes. This gives us the option of introducing a new
QtWidgets-free "QtWebKit" module later during the life-time of Qt 5,
essentially realizing a library split where QtWebKitWidgets would link against
the new QtWebKit. (Note that this change doesn't affect anyone using the QML2
WK2 APIs, as those don't require direct linkage but only use dynamic plugin
imports)

Thoughts? :)

Simon