[webkit-qt] Performance regression

Coda Highland chighland at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 21:46:42 PDT 2012

I'm on Mac (Snow Leopard), and building 32-bit (Carbon, of course) because
of other dependencies.

Back in Qt 4.7 (specifically, on August 14th, 2011), I had built the
QtWebKit 2.2 branch from trunk in order to get some features I needed for
my application.

Today I got tired of dealing with the broken inspector and decided to
update to 4.8.0. Unfortunately, the version of QtWebKit bundled with 4.8.0,
as well as a fresh checkout of trunk, have severe performance regressions,
especially with scrolling. I kept Qt 4.8.0 but switched back to my old
build of QtWebKit from August 14th and the performance returned to normal.
(I still had another regression regarding opacity, but that seems to be a
Carbon-specific regression in Qt itself, not QtWebKit.)

I'm not looking forward to spending my weekend bisecting this; is this a
known issue? Does anyone have any pointers on what change(s) might be
relevant?

Thanks,
/s/ Adam