[webkit-qt] QtWebKit2 and QML Items expected behavior - "There and back again"

noam.rosenthal at nokia.com noam.rosenthal at nokia.com
Mon Mar 19 17:23:45 PDT 2012

I think that we should support these in the future, but perhaps not for the first release. Though use-case (1) doesn't sound too hard. I think that for the first release it's difficult enough to get a performing basic web-view out without trying to integrate it with effects.

to answer the "Why" question for your use cases:
> 1- A WebView that has a child Rect.
Allowing standard QML behavior from our items is going to lead to less strange bug reports later. The more the web-view behaves like any other QML item, the less problems. Also, this is not too hard.

> 2- A WebView having a shader applied to it.
If someone wants to create an effect on his whole app (let's say a blur fade-in), and the app contains a web-view, it would be ugly if the whole app fades in and the web-view doesn't.
btw, this is not too difficult as well, but I feel that we have a few more basic things to do before :)

It's OK with me if we say "For now, QML effects do not apply to WebViews, this will be possible in future releases".

No'am