[webkit-qt] Conclusion (was RE: Proposal: Qt 4 removal from trunk, Qt 5 changes)
alexis.menard at openbossa.org
Mon Jun 11 07:13:08 PDT 2012
On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Osztrogonac Csaba <oszi at inf.u-szeged.hu> wrote:
> Jocelyn Turcotte írta:
>> My quick opinion on it is that we could:
>> - Switch the official bots to Qt5 as soon as possible to aid the Qt5 beta
> I don't understand what do you mean about "switch". We still have many Qt5
> - Qt Linux 64-bit Release (Perf) == Qt5-WK1 builder and perf tester bot -
> - Qt Linux 64-bit Release (WebKit2 Perf) == Qt5-WK2 builder and perf tester
> bot - http://build.webkit.org
> - x86-32 Linux Qt Release - Qt5-WebKit1 == Qt5-WK1 builder, JSC/layout/API
> tester bot - http://build.webkit.sed.hu
> - x86-64 Linux Qt Release WebKit2 (Amazon EC2) == Qt5-WK2 builder,
> JSC/layout/API tester bot - http://build.webkit.sed.hu
> - x86-32 Linux Qt Release WebKit2 == Qt5-WK2 builder, JSC/layout/API tester
> bot - http://build.webkit.sed.hu
> - ARMv7 Linux Qt5 Release (Build) == Qt5-WK2 builder
> - Qt WK2 EWS == Qt5-WK2 Early Warning System bot - http://queues.webkit.org/
> But we don't have buildbot for Windows. Because now QtWebKit isn't buildable
> on Windows at all.
> (We are working on it, see the mail thread about it.) Until we don't have
> buildable QtWebKit
> on Windows with Qt5, the Qt 4.8 Windows builder guarantees that we catch new
> build regressions
> come from WebKit trunk. Maybe only a Qt5 Mac and a Qt5 debug bots are
> missing a little bit.
>> - Branch Qt4 at the same time as Qt5 (two different branches would be
>> better I guess)
> I think it would be profitable for Qt4-QtWebKit and Qt5-QtWebKit release
> team. In this case they don't have to duplicate cherry-picking most of
> security fixes, bug fixes.
>> - Remove the Qt4 code from trunk (that might be broken already since the
>> bots won't be running) once we stabilized the Qt5 branch
> Of course when we don't run Qt4 buildbots, the code might be broken. :)
> The question is if/until when do we want to maintain Qt4 code paths.
> This question should be answered by the project owners/maintainers.
> I'm only the admin of most of the bots, so it's all the same for me which Qt
> version runs on the bots. :)
> I can say only some contra against removing Qt 4 support too early:
> - Now automatic Qt5 update on the bots isn't solved yet. Because gitorious
> so stable now. I'm working on hard to make the Qt5 build script support
> mirrors and adding a new "update-qt5-to-the-latest-pinned-qt5-hash"
> before compiling. I think it will be fixed in 1-2 weeks.
> - Windows build doesn't work with Qt5 now. With dropping Qt 4 support,
> there won't be buildbot to catch new build regression on Windows.
> - Mac, SH4, MIPS bots are out of my scope. I don't know anything
> if they are ready or not to migrating to Qt5. Boston? Recife? Holger? :)
I don't have the time to update the SHA key every week but if we stick
with the beta, then RC, then release, I don't see any problem of the
bot switching to Qt5 :). I'll wait the go flag and I will migrate it.
>> On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 09:37:14 +0200
>> ext Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde at carewolf.com> wrote:
>>> On Wednesday 06 June 2012, simon.hausmann at nokia.com wrote:
>>>> Hm, okay, maybe we can improve the timing :)
>>>> What would be the advantage of waiting until Qt 5.0 is released? What
>>>> be different at that point?
>>> By branching of the same version as Qt 5.0 it will hopefully benifit from
>>> the stabilization up to Qt 5.0, plus it means we can hopefully keep the
>>> QtWebKit for Qt 4.x version close to the branch used for Qt 5.0, which means
>>> we can possible merge similar patches, etc.
>>> From an communication POV it is also simpler to explain that this fork
>>> will provide the features available in QtWebKit for Qt 5.0 to Qt 4.x (except
>>> WebKit2 of course).
> webkit-qt mailing list
> webkit-qt at lists.webkit.org
Alexis Menard (darktears)
openBossa @ INdT - Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia
More information about the webkit-qt