[webkit-qt] webkit2, v8, diplomacy

Jedrzej Nowacki jedrzej.nowacki at nokia.com
Tue Jun 5 07:30:32 PDT 2012

On Tuesday 5. June 2012 15.51.27 ext Coda Highland wrote:
> I'll retract my statement about APIs; further research on the matter
> indicates that the only one QtScript offered that V8 couldn't was
> offline syntax checking.

The main problem was QtScript itself which exposed to many implementation
details. We had problems with many things, especially with QScriptContext
class and debugging api. In the end we managed to port it in 95% but it was
far from being perfect. Anyway QtScript is marked as "Done" and will not be
longer actively developed. So it should not be taken into account during this
discussion.

QML uses V8 because it was designed as a JS engine, not as a JS engine for a
browser. Year ago V8 had a lot better api then JSC, I'm not sure if it still
the case, but probably yes.

Cheers,
  Jędrek