[webkit-qt] Proposal: Qt 4 removal from trunk, Qt 5 changes

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at nokia.com
Fri Jun 1 07:45:05 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 05:27:45 AM ext Turunen Tuukka wrote:
> On 29.5.2012 0.13, "Caio Marcelo de Oliveira Filho"
>
> <caio.oliveira at openbossa.org> wrote:
> >Hello,

> >> In-trunk maintenance requires keeping a bot green and regularly
> >>
> >>catching up
> >>
> >> with changes that happen in WebKit. If we just keep the Qt 4 code in
> >>
> >>trunk and
> >>
> >> let it "rot" then for a while people will continue to blindly change
> >>
> >>the Qt 4
> >>
> >> files if they do internal API changes, but that'll stop sooner than
> >>
> >>later. Then
> >>
> >> the code becomes bitrot and it looks bad.
> >>
> >> An out-of-trunk maintenance requires probably more effort in merging
> >>
> >>itself,
> >>
> >> but it's completely up to the people maintaining it _when_ they choose
> >>
> >>to do
> >>
> >> it and how long it'll take them.
> >
> >I think these are good arguments to remove Qt4 support from trunk.
> >
> >However, it's still unclear to me whether this thread reached a
> >conclusion or not.
>
> I do not think the final verdict was given by Simon on this one.

I would love to proceed as long as the people who are interested in an out-of-
trunk Qt 4 port are okay with it, i.e. they have a rough idea about the
implications and would not be totally upset if we did this.

> As I said in my earlier mail, I really would like to see 4.8 webkit
> updated as soon as Qt 5.0.0 is out. In order to do this, I would like to
> keep things running in the Qt Project systems. Currently it seems that
> after 5.0.0 we can provide some help into this. And it is great that there
> are also others in the community who have expressed interest.
>
> If it is possible to do this together, it is easier to succeed.

It's great to hear that you are interested in this and would be willing to
help!

Perhaps this is enough for us to proceed? I can try to help with the merging
as well.

Andrea, are you okay with it as well?

Simon