[webkit-qt] [week 30] Qt 5 version update

Osztrogonac Csaba oszi at inf.u-szeged.hu
Tue Jul 24 08:48:49 PDT 2012

Hi,

noam.rosenthal at nokia.com írta:
> Summary of discussion on IRC (Simon, please correct me if I'm wrong):
> - the original idea behind updating the qt5 version weekly was to stay somewhat close to source-incompatible changes, which at the time occurred very often.
> - source compatible changes aren't that often anymore.
> - after the Qt5 release, trunk should support both the released version and Qt5 trunk, possibly by keeping one of the bots on Qt5-trunk and the rest on the released package. We can deal with the details when we get there.
> - we still want to catch source-incompatible changes early.

Good idea. I think we should setup a new bot for Qt5 trunk to catch source incopmpatible
changes early. It is possible to make a bot build the latest Qt5 hash if there is a new one.

> Therefore,
> - For now, we should not update the bots weekly, biweekly or monthly, but rather do it reactively when there is a Qt5 bugfix that we need or when there's a source incompatible change that affects webkit.
OK, so I stopped weekly update and I will do update only on demand.

> - If anyone reaches a point where a Qt5 upgrade is needed, open a bug and follow the same procedure we do now, no need for a huge concensus or to wait for the next weekly update.
Correct. But it would be great if we can minimize the number of updates.
If there are two update in few days, it can be annoying for developers.

> - Hopefully source incompatible changes would continue to decrease as Qt5 reaches releasable state.
> Thoughts?

I finished this weekly update. (Qt5 WK1/WK2 buildbots, perf bots, EWS) The latest
Qt5 hash is 65079e2706bf820cb2e585039f005a8abda151f8 now. Simon's WebKit buildfix
for the newer Qt5 landed in https://trac.webkit.org/changeset/123476

You can find the updated build script here: https://github.com/ossy-szeged/qt5-tools

br,
Ossy