[webkit-qt] [week 30] Qt 5 version update

noam.rosenthal at nokia.com noam.rosenthal at nokia.com
Mon Jul 23 07:34:13 PDT 2012

Summary of discussion on IRC (Simon, please correct me if I'm wrong):
- the original idea behind updating the qt5 version weekly was to stay somewhat close to source-incompatible changes, which at the time occurred very often.
- source compatible changes aren't that often anymore.
- after the Qt5 release, trunk should support both the released version and Qt5 trunk, possibly by keeping one of the bots on Qt5-trunk and the rest on the released package. We can deal with the details when we get there.
- we still want to catch source-incompatible changes early.

- For now, we should not update the bots weekly, biweekly or monthly, but rather do it reactively when there is a Qt5 bugfix that we need or when there's a source incompatible change that affects webkit.
- If anyone reaches a point where a Qt5 upgrade is needed, open a bug and follow the same procedure we do now, no need for a huge concensus or to wait for the next weekly update.
- Hopefully source incompatible changes would continue to decrease as Qt5 reaches releasable state.


From: Rosenthal Noam (Nokia-CTO/SiliconValley)
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2012 6:24 AM
To: webkit-qt at lists.webkit.org
Subject: RE: [webkit-qt] [week 30] Qt 5 version update

I understand the Qt5 beta is coming soon, are we going to need another update for the beta?
It would be nice if after the beta we could use the beta packages with trunk and afterwards the 5.0 released packages.

Otherwise i have no problem with a 3-week update cycle like this one.

From: webkit-qt-bounces at lists.webkit.org [webkit-qt-bounces at lists.webkit.org] on behalf of Hausmann Simon (Nokia-MP/Oslo)
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2012 5:46 AM
To: webkit-qt at lists.webkit.org
Subject: Re: [webkit-qt] [week 30] Qt 5 version update

On Monday, July 23, 2012 02:18:29 PM ext Osztrogonac Csaba wrote:
> Hi All,
> Qt5 update is coming soon ... ;-)
> Last Qt 5 update for WebKit trunk was long time ago, it's time to update
> again. Now the latest Qt 5 hash is
> 654fcc335c20431f60d3fde32e636aae38afe658, it seems it works fine. (WK1,WK2,
> API tests, layout tests)
> I'm going to update Qt 5 on the bots soon (in 2-3 hours), and then land the
> necessary buildfix (by Simon) in
> https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91822 (already r+ -ed.)

Oh, hang on. I realize that we last time we decided that we should decide
whether or not to update on a case-by-case basis. I want to give the folks on
the west coast also a chance, so maybe we should wait for them (that means
earliest update tomorrow, if they're ok with it).

I'd like to update so that we can follow the QML API changes and I can update
WebKit in qt5.git to compile again.

webkit-qt mailing list
webkit-qt at lists.webkit.org

More information about the webkit-qt mailing list