[webkit-qt] QtWebKit hybrid support in Qt 5 / WebKit2

Caio Marcelo de Oliveira Filho caio.oliveira at openbossa.org
Mon Jan 30 11:12:14 PST 2012

Hello Jeff,

Currently our WebView.experimental has a messageReceived() signal and
a postMessage() slot, as well as
webpage JS counterparts inside window.navigator.qt object. You can see
them at work in the auto test

Source/WebKit2/UIProcess/API/qt/tests/qmltests/DesktopBehavior/tst_messaging.qml

With only this existing support I think you can implement most if not
all Cordova (ex-PhoneGap) API. Maybe you'll
need to include a "custom" js file in the apps, but I think this is
done already by other "ports" of PhoneGap as well.

There might be APIs in which performance with the messaging solution
is not good. There are ideas on loading code
in the webprocess (like injected bundles, but something at Qt level),
but still not much discussion about. I want to
raise this on the upcoming QtWebKit dev meeting.

Last but not least: with knowledge from implementing Cordova APIs,
you'll might find that it is too low-level and/or we
could improve. This kind of feedback is very valuable for us.

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Jeff Tranter <jtranter at ics.com> wrote:
> I've seen the proposal for hybrid support that was posted last October. Bug
> 75099 at bugs.webkit.org tracks some of the patches.

Next step in this bug is to make a way to inject JS files in the JS
webpage environment. I added a comment there.

In summary: I think existing code already covers a lot of what's
needed for Cordova. With something functional we can improve the slow
parts of it.

Cheers,

--
Caio Marcelo de Oliveira Filho