[webkit-qt] QtWebKit Linking Error On Ubuntu

Jocelyn Turcotte jocelyn.turcotte at nokia.com
Fri Feb 10 03:35:15 PST 2012

I've been too lazy re-installing a 64 linux on my machine, here's what I do:

1. Build like you did until you get the out of memory
2. Run this in you build directory to strip all debug info:
find . -name "*.o" | xargs -n1 strip -gp
find . -name "*.a" | grep -v WebKitLibraries | xargs -n1 rm
3. Build again, this time it should succeed
4. Make it crash in gdb, find the faulty symbols
5. Touch/save the headers of those symbols, then rebuild to link the debug symbols only for the .cpp files including them
6. Make it crash again in gdb, it should be able to find the debug info you need.

It requires more work, but it also reduces the linking time from minutes to seconds while allowing me to keep those useful ASSERTs running, 64 bits or not.

Jocelyn