[webkit-qt] kde-qt-webkit

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 17:09:27 PDT 2012

Hi all,
I'm here to announce the will to work on an unofficial branch of
qtwebkit, living on gitorious as
https://gitorious.org/~adjam/webkit/kde-qt-webkit.

Given qtwebkit devs intention to no more develop the WebKit1 bits of the
qt port and considering the needs of kde webkit browsers (you may know
I'm just developing one), I decided to try working a bit on it with some
minimal targets.
In my idea, kde-qt-webkit releases should be drop-in replacement for the
qtwebkit lib provided with qt 4.x, so that we can i.e. compile kdewebkit
against this new library without problems. In fact, no real kde
integration will be provided (that is, kio and k- classes will continue
living outside webkit code). At least for the qt4/kde4 release cycle.

Targets for this port are:

- let the branch synced with svn webkit master.

- merge Lindsay Mathieson work about spellcheck support

- let html5 audio/video work as best as possible, eventually switching
back to the phonon implementation (and that's because I cc'ed in this
mail Harald Sitter, actual phonon maintainer)

- (eventually) let (kde-)-qt-webkit compile with cmake

- fix some of the kdewebkit integration known issues pending like (and
here is adawit cc):

* [QtWebKit] Form completion like the one available in native Qt widgets
such
   as QLineEdit is missing due to lack of access to form elements.
   See http://webkit.org/b/36668.

and so on

- do some bugfixing and gain some webkit development experience.

- backport at least one fix :)

The idea is just to work on this until kde5 (whose release data is
probably comparable with that of qt 5.1) and then decide again what to
do (basically dropping out WebKit1 support and moving to qt5/webkit2 or
continue this experience becoming a "more official" full kde webkit port.

Hints and comments are welcome.

Regards,
Andrea Diamantini.